Monday, May 28, 2007

Black dolls, white dolls

After a relaxing three day weekend, I decided to catch today's "Oprah." I'm so glad I did.

She had a teen-age filmmaker on who did a documentary on black kids and what kind of doll they desired if they had to choose between a white doll and a black doll. I was stunned to see ALL of the children chose the WHITE dolls. This test isn't anything new because Kenneth Clark did the same test back in the 1940s as part of the Brown v Board of Education.

It's shocking this behavior still exists in 2007. But, I'm guilty too because when I was a boy, I used to fantasize about being Superman, Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman (she was cooler) but no black ones. Although, there weren't that many and still aren't, although DC Comics did try.

"Oprah" is usually full of fluff but today, she's full of substance and thank goodness for that.

No comments: