Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Secret Millionaire



Miles and Cynthia Kovacs are just one of the few couples who participated in giving away lots of money in "The Secret Millionaire." Photo by Fox.com

Fox Broadcasting hasn't been known for really good reality TV shows. Remember "Joe Millionaire"? Or "Married by America"? Well, they are at it again with "The Secret Millionaire."

The premise of the show: Wealthy people live undercover with the poor AS poor people. At the end of the week, they give away at least $100,000 of their own money to "deserving" people. The cameras are explained as a documentary about poverty. At the end of the week both rich and poor have their lives changed - for the better.

But this being Fox, shenanigans are afoot.

I watched last week and am watching tonight and I have to say, the show is entertaining, and that's how I'm treating this, as entertainment. However, there's a part of me that's saddened to see how people are living in the U.S.

After last week's show, you can bet I'll NEVER set foot in Imperial Beach ever. I've lived in San Diego and have been to I.B. maybe twice and after seeing the portrayal on this show, it looked like a disgusting mess. However, after asking around, I found that this show apparently showed only the WORST side of the area.

I also worry about Fox broadcasting that certain people in poor neighborhoods are suddenly the recipients of $100,000. It seems dangerous to me, but we'll see how this limited run show goes.

No comments: